09 Oct We’re recruiting a Touring Production Manager
Mimbre is seeking an experienced Touring Production Manager to work with us on the creation and tour of Mimbre’s new production, The Exploded Circus. The role will include pre-tour production management and technical stage management while on tour. It is a freelance role beginning November 2017.
The Exploded Circus will tour with a self-standing rig to theatre venues and found spaces as well as two performance weeks in a hired circus tent. Flexibility and an ability to problem-solve is essential for this unusual and exciting production and we are seeking someone who enjoys working collaboratively and has experience of working with weight-bearing sets.
About the role
Because of the particular nature of the rig and the variety of touring venues, we are ideally seeking an experienced candidate to join our team from the start of production to cover production management tasks as well as being directly in charge of technical stage management on tour.
However, if you are interested or available in just one part of the role; production management (spread across November 2017-May 2018) or technical tour manager (spread across May-November 2018) please still be in touch to register your interest.
Key Tasks (this list is not exhaustive):
- Production management during creation, including:
◦ managing the build of rig and set
◦ budget and petty cash management
◦ acting as the main contact for the set-designer and rig builder
◦ arranging certification of rig
◦ identifying and sourcing of equipment and materials
◦ set-up and break-downs in rehearsals
- Liaising with technical departments at programming venues
- Preparing risk-assessments, method statements and technical specifications
- Managing the pack of touring equipment
- Managing and scheduling all technical aspects of get-in and get-out, being responsible for the safe and efficient installation and use of the rig
- Managing lighting set-up for the show, including re-lighting arrangements (part of the lighting design will be touring lights incorporated into the show’s design, part of it will be using the venue’s lighting)
- Managing sound set-up on tour
- Managing the venue’s technical crews as well as managing Mimbre’s team for their involvement in set-up and get-outs
- Budget and petty cash management
- Sharing the driving of van/truck on tour
- Checking and organising repair and upkeep of all touring materials and vehicles when necessary
- Along with the rest of the crew and cast, taking responsibility for Health and Safety
Mimbre is used to working with a small team where everyone gets involved including performers and gives a hand where needed, so we are looking for a person who is happy to work in a pro-active collaborative way and have flexibility in their role.
A positive outward facing attitude and good people skills to work in unusual settings is essential. In exchange you will be working with a supportive team and on an exciting artistic project.
Outline Terms and Conditions
Contract: Fixed term, freelance
Fee: £5,500 (pre-production, rehearsals and production week), £625 per week once on tour
- November 2017 – February 2018, various dates: Production Management, including management of design and building of rig, pre-production planning and site-visits
- 19th – 23rd February & 26th February – 2nd March 2018: Design Construction and installation (101 Outdoor Arts Creation Space, Newbury
- 9th May – 11th May 2018: Production rehearsals (London)
- 13th – 17th May 2018: Production week (Worthing) with premiere 18th – 20th
- Touring: Final schedule still being confirmed, indicatively we are expecting 4-6 weeks spread across May- September, with a second shorter touring period planned for late October – November 2018 (availability for this is not crucial).
We are happy to discuss the schedule further on request or at interview stage, but indicatively we think the role requires roughly the equivalent of 3 weeks across the pre-production stage, full time availability for the Design Construction and Production weeks, and flexible availability for the majority of production rehearsals.
Skills and Experience
The role still has some flexibility to be built around the experience of the right person, so this list is indicative:
- Production Management experience
- Technical/stage management experience on tour
- Clean driving licence up to 7.5 tonne vehicle
- Experience touring to venues as well as festival/found spaces
- Experience working with circus performance or other performances with weight-bearing set-design
- Basic sound and lighting technical skills
- Experience of interactive sound equipment (Makey Makey or other basic recording equipment) is a plus
The roles of Company Stage Manager and Rigger will be recruited to fit around your experience to create a strong team. This might for example include sharing some of the lighting and sound set-up across the team depending on the other team-members’ experiences and strengths.
Application Deadline: 6pm Friday 27th October 2017
Interview Notifications: Monday 30th October
Interviews: Tuesday 31st October or Wednesday 1st November
To apply please send a covering letter and CV by 27th October to Lissy Lovett at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email applications only.
Separately, please fill in an equal opportunities form at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/HbiEgE2W7RhNlCHH2
This information will be considered separately from the recruitment process.
For more information about this post please download the Touring Production Manager Mimbre Job Description.