23 Nov Teaching Assistant
mimbre are seeking an EDUCATION ASSISTANT to help support our three workshop programmes
Mimbre is a female acrobatic company, fusing world-class acrobatics with theatre and dance. Formed in 1999 and based in Hackney, Mimbre has, since 2006, delivered community outreach workshops to children and young people living in the borough of Hackney. Supported by Southern Housing Foundation, these workshops are particularly targeted at children who live in social housing and include acrobatics, street-dance, and general circus and performance skills.
The Teaching Assistant role is for three afternoons a week:
Tuesdays for 10 weeks from 17th January, 2pm-7:30pm (excluding Half Term w/c 13th Feb)
Wednesdays for 11 weeks from 11th January, 4pm- 7:30pm (excluding Half Term w/c 13th Feb)
Thursdays for 10 weeks from19th January, 4pm-6pm (excluding Half Term w/c 13th Feb)
Each session will be led by two experienced practitioners in acrobatics / streetdance. The Education Assistant will not be leading any activities on their own, but support the workshop and the teacher logistically.
Areas of responsibility will include but not be limited to:
- Checking the workshop space is clean and tidy before each session and setting up any materials/equipment which might be required during the session.
- Meeting and welcoming the participants and checking them in and out on the weekly registers.
- Assisting with chaperoning the participating children to and from estate to workshop venue where necessary.
- Buying and preparing refreshments for workshop session (purchases will be reimbursed).
- Supporting the workshop leaders with issues of behaviour in the participants during each session.
- Clearing the workshop space after each session.
- Assisting with end of term sharings – setting up the space, supporting the workshop leaders and participants, arranging refreshments for children and audience, gathering feedback and evaluation material from audience and participants.
- Assisting at the performances taking place during the intensive weekend and week – decorating the space, supporting the workshop leaders and young participants when creating and rehearsing material for performances, help to arrange refreshments for children and audience, gathering feedback and evaluation material from audience and participants.
- Feeding back any incidents as relevant to members of Mimbre team.
- Agreeing to abide by Mimbre’s Child Protection Policy.
We wish to find someone with an interest in youth arts who is keen to gain experience of working with children and young people in a local community-based setting.
The fee for this role is £7.50 an hour. This fee is inclusive of travel and other personal expenses. The post is offered as a fixed term contract on a schedule D (self-employed) basis.
This post can only be offered to people with a current enhanced CRB disclosure (issued within the last 2 years).
Deadline for applying is 10am on Tuesday 29th November .
Interviews will take place Monday the 5th of December.
Appointment will be subject to providing a reference (name and contact of someone you have worked with before in an education context, who you are happy for us to contact) and presentation of a current enhanced CRB disclosure.
One of the three programmes is solely for girls aged 9-12, exploring their relationship with their body and self-image – to be able to offer all the dates we are looking for a female assistant, but we would consider male applicants for the the Tuesday and Thursday dates. (This post is exempt under the Employment (Sex Discrimination) Act 2000)
To apply send your CV and a cover letter, totalling no more than three sides, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please clearly state if there are any of the above dates when you are not available and give details of 2 references and how old your CRB enclosure is.
If you have any queries about the post, please contact Liat Rosenthal, Education Project Manager on email@example.com
Mimbre are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all, regardless of sexual orientation, sex, race, age, gender or disability.