19 Oct Auditions for Female Bases and Middles
AUDITION FOR THREE (working title) FOR FEMALE BASES AND MIDDLES
We are looking for a base or middle/second acrobalance performer to join us for our next outdoor production Three (working title), creation early 2019 and summer tour.
About Three (working title):
Mimbre are creating a brand new outdoor, acrobatic theatre show collaborating with three new choreographers to mix our trademark acrobalance movement and techniques with new styles. With a simple format and minimal set-up, Three is a choreographic indulgence that celebrates and explores the expressions and impressions that appear when three strong women move, lift and balance each other.
The show is a 30-minute self-contained family friendly performance, created for outdoor festivals, with minimal set and a cast of three performers including Mimbre joint artistic director, Silvia Fratelli.
Over three residencies we will work with choreographers to explore and develop the conceptions of acrobatic movement and experiment with new techniques and ideas. Our aim is to infuse our acrobatic language with fresh and surprising approaches to our physical connections. Allowing stories, characters and material to appear from the process rather than from preconceived ideas, interweaving this material in the same way that the acrobats’ bodies connect and become one.
The final performance will be directed by Mimbre’s joint artistic director Lina Johansson, curating the material and ideas from the three residencies into a cohesive performance. Drawing on our experience in creating for the street we’ll be working with a mix of slow, delicate, funny and abstract to find an appropriate focus and pace for outdoors.
- From January there will be regular training sessions, approximately three times a week, with Silvia Fratelli. Training will take place at the National Centre for Circus Arts in London. There will be some weeks of rest and flexibility over other commitments.
- 4th – 8th February – Choreography residency 1 – London
- February/March (1 week, exact dates TBC) Choreography residency 2
- March/April (1 week, exact dates TBC) Choreography residency 3
- 22nd April – 12th May – Three weeks of full time rehearsal, most likely in London
- Summer tour. The show will tour from May until late September. Exact dates will be confirmed as the schedule is finalised. The tour base will be in London. We normally tour to 10 – 15 festivals nationally and internationally across the summer, with each festival varying in length from one to four days.
- There is the potential of the show being further developed into an indoor production with further touring in winter 2019, but these plans are not consolidated yet and would not form part of the initial contract.
We apologise for the slightly vague dates for the project at present. We will update with more details as we are able and please let us know if you have any commitments for 2019 already when you apply.
The choreographers are being confirmed at the moment and we will announce them shortly. What we can say, is that they are really exciting collaborators to explore and further the approach of acrobalance movement with!
We are looking for a female acrobalance middle and/or base.
We are a small, hard-working team and work collaboratively on all aspects of touring; the role will involve being hands on with any set-up or preparation for each show and general touring activities. Long drives in the van are rewarded by arriving at some of the most exciting outdoor theatre festivals in the UK and Europe with lovely and enthusiastic audiences.
Mimbre is a family-friendly company and is very happy to work with performers to accommodate any childcare commitments or other caring responsibilities.
Mimbre is keen to work with performers from different backgrounds, and with different abilities and body shapes. We don’t define a strong skill-set as simply particular moves or techniques done to a high technical level; we are seeking performers who can strongly impress an audience with their skills and performance combined. We welcome disabled performers, please let us know about your access requirements.
- Experience as acrobalance base or middle (or background in sport acrobatics)
- Identifying as female
- A wish to explore acrobalance in an experimental and creative context
- Strong movement ability – could be in any style
- Comfortable in taking direction as well as contributing creative ideas and material
- At least two years of professional experience as a performer
- Experience in trio acrobalance
- Experience of small-scale and/or outdoor touring
- Clean driving licence
- Must have the right to work in the UK currently and hold a valid passport (NB we realise that following Brexit the rules around working in the UK may change but we are committed to working through this with those we work with)
- Must live near or be willing to relocate to London for the duration of the contract, to allow for regular training sessions
- Must be available for the majority of the schedule below
- This is a freelance contract
- All training sessions, rehearsals and touring are paid at above Equity/ITC Rates of Pay. Fees are £25 per training session, £480 per rehearsal week, and £200 per day, £300 per two days or £500 per week on tour with any additional travel days paid at £75 per day.
- We will ask the performers to keep a commitment to Mimbre for May – September as we book the summer tour and we then work with a system of first option and release dates to enable the performer to take other jobs alongside the tour. Please contact Lissy on email@example.com if you require more detail on Mimbre’s performer contract.
- Per diems/food and accommodation will be covered on tour or any residencies outside of London.
- Mimbre take the wellbeing of their performers seriously. The performer will undergo a physical assessment with trained physiotherapists at the start of the rehearsal process to create a personalised training plan.
To apply please send your CV or resume, a cover letter explaining your motivation to work with Mimbre and your suitability for the role and a link to your showreel or other videos showing relevant skills to Lissy Lovett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am Monday 12th November.
We will invite selected applicants to an audition day by Friday 16th November.
Auditions will take place from 10am – 6pm on Monday 19th November (changed from Tues 20th). The audition will be held as a day workshop covering acrobalance techniques, choreographical tasks related to acrobatics, devising exercises and improvisations as a group. This will enable applicants to gain an insight into Mimbre’s style and working practices. The audition workshop will be run by Mimbre’s joint artistic directors, Silvia Fratelli and Lina Johansson.
The successful applicant will be appointed at the beginning of December. All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by Friday 7th December.
If you would like to discuss the role ahead of your application, please contact Joint Artistic Director, Lina Johansson, on email@example.com or call on 020 7613 1068.
Thank you very much for your interest in this role.
Mimbre is a female-led company creating nuanced, breathtaking and highly-skilled acrobatic theatre. We use circus and dance innovatively as a physical language to illuminate
human connections and promote a positive image of women.
Download the application pack here: Three performer application pack 2018.